American Roulette is one of the most popular variations of roulette both online and in land-based casinos. This exciting game of chance is a great option for both beginners and advanced players but there may be differences in the strategies implemented by both. If you want to know more about how to play American Roulette, the rules of the games, the bets you can place and the best strategies to take, carry on reading our extensive guide to playing American Roulette.
How to Play American Roulette
American Roulette is incredibly easy to play and as this is a game entirely of chance, players of all levels can enjoy putting a bet down on the table. The biggest difference between American Roulette and European Roulette is the divisions on the table. When you play at an American Roulette table, there are 38 divisions and these are split into 0, 00 and then number 1 to 36. The 0 and 00 divisions are easily spotted as they are in green, while number 1 to 36 will be coloured red and black and this alternates.
The aim of the game is simple. All you have to do is correctly predict where the ball will fall onto the wheel and if your bet is correct, you’ll be a winner! There is an equal probability of the ball settling in any of the numbered divisions on the wheel.
Here is a step by step guide to how you can get started playing American Roulette and this can be adapted for both land-based casino games and online casino games:
- Choose the American Roulette table you want to play at
- Choose the risk you want to take with the type of bet you’re going to place
- You can then decide on your betting amount and this should always be within your own bankroll budget
- Place the bet on the number or numbers that you have picked
- Bets can either be placed on your screen when playing online or with the dealer at a brick and mortar casino
- Watch as the dealer spins the wheel or the digital game’s random number generator kicks in and the dealer announces ‘no more bets’
- The dealer will announce the winning number
- Those who guessed the correct number will then get to collect their winnings
- Decide whether you want to play another round!
American Roulette is very easy to play and once you have played a few rounds, you’ll see just how simple this game is as well as the rules. You do not need any skill to play this game as it is entirely down to your own luck.
Bets in American Roulette
In American Roulette, you can place inside bets and outside bets. This can be on an individual number or on a group of numbers. Here are the most common types of bets you can place in a game of American Roulette.
Inside bets can be bets placed on a single number, small groups of numbers or on adjacent numbers. Here is the top inside bets that you can place in this game:
- Straight bet – this bet is placed on a single number and can include the 0 and 00 sections. This has a payout of 35 to 1
- Split bet – this bet is placed on two adjacent number and the chip is put on the line between the two numbers. This bet can include 0 and 00. The payout is 17 to 1
- Street bet – this bet is placed on three numbers in a row and the chip is placed at the end row line. It has a payout of 11 to 1
- Corner bet – this bet is placed on a group of four numbers and the chip is placed on the corner that intersects these four numbers. The payout is 8 to 1
- Five bet – this bet is placed on five numbers in sequence order and the chip is placed on the corner by 0 and 1. The payout is 6 to 1
- Line bet – this bet is placed on six numbers and the chip is placed at the end of the rows where the border is between them. The payout is 5 to 1
Inside bets are a great option for players who want to make riskier bets but want the chance to win bigger sums of money.
Outside bets are placed on larger groups of numbers. Here are the most popular outside bets that you can place in an exciting game of American Roulette:
- Column bet – this bet is placed on an entire column and you can place the chip on the 2:1 section at the end of the roulette table. It has a payout of 2:1
- Dozen Bet – this bet is placed on 12 numbers and the bet is placed on either the 1st 12, 2nd 12 or 3rd 12 sections of the roulette table. It has a payout of 2 to 1
- Bet on colour – this bet is placed on all numbers of the same colour, which can be either red or black. It has a payout of 1 to 1
- Bet on odd/even – this bet is placed on all the odd numbers or all the even numbers on the roulette board. It has a payout of 1 to 1
- Bet on low/high – this bet is placed on all the low numbers, 1 to 18, or all the high numbers, 19 to 36. It has a payout of 1 to 1
If the winning number is the 0 or 00 section, the outside bets will be halved and returned to the players.
What is the Martingale System?
The Martingale system is one of the most popular betting strategies and is named after a famous gambling house owner, Mr Henry Martingale. This is a simple betting strategy and this is what has made it so widespread. This system, summed up, is when you are on a winning streak, you should decrease your bets but if you are on a losing streak you should increase your bets.
This betting system is mostly used in games of roulette but it can also be used for other casino games such as blackjack or baccarat. Whenever you lose a bet, you should double your wager when following the Martingale system when you are winning, it should be decreased to a smaller number.
The advantages to using this system include the chance to generate large wins by getting lots of smaller wins. It also means that you substantially reduce the risk of losing your entire bankroll. However, there are disadvantages to this system too. The first disadvantage is that you will never be able to overcome the house edge, no matter what betting system you try. This means that you must always watch your bankroll carefully as this betting system could have you losing your money before you have the opportunity to win it back. To reduce the chances of this happening, it is best to keep to smaller bets and extend your bankroll as much as possible.
American Roulette FAQs
Are you still left with questions about how to play American Roulette? Then carry on reading as we have for you the answers to all our most frequently asked questions about this popular gambling game.